Many of us use MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) to transfer our files from our android device to our windows PC or from PC to our android device. For this, we just enable USB debugging in our android phone and connects our phone to with PC and then selects file transfer option from notification panel in our phone, after that we can transfer our files. But some time, due to some issues the MTP doesn’t work and our PC doesn’t detect our device, actually it detects but doesn’t show our files in file manager. That means, we just can’t transfer our files. There could be many reasons for this problem.
- Drivers not installed properly
- USB debugging not enabled
- Damaged USB cable
- Damaged USB/Micro-USB/Type-C port
- Incompatible USB cable
But don’t worry, in this guide I am going to tell you how to fix MTP error or not recognizing your android device problem in windows 10. I will be writing this guide in two parts (Common fixes and Final fix). In first part I will tell you how to fix it with some minor or common steps and in second part I will tell you how to fix it when none of the steps work from first part. So, lets begin.
Check the USB cable
Check if the cable is damaged or not. Sometimes few cables doesn’t make compatibility with your device. Change the cable and try again.
Checkout best USB cables here.
Enable Developer option
Go to Settings>About phone and scroll down. Click 7 times on build number simultaneously and you’ll see a toast pop-up saying that you’ve successfully enabled Developer option.
Check USB connection settings
Go to Settings>Developer option and scroll a little bit down and find an option called Select USB Configuration. Check if it’s selected as MTP or not. If not then select it to MTP.
Uninstall and reinstall Android USB drivers
Connect your Android device to your computer and open Device Manager. In device manager, locate your device under other devices or portable devices. Then Right click on your device and select uninstall. After that, disconnect your device and reconnect it to your PC. Wait till the drivers gets installed again in your PC.
Install universal ADB drivers
Sometimes stock USB drivers doesn’t work. So, we can also install universal ADB drivers. Just download the drivers from here and install them normally.
You may also read
- Best alternative of Garageband for Android
- How to find saved passwords in Mac
- Top 10 must have root apps
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device manager.
- In device manager, locate your device under other devices or portable devices. Then right click on your device and select Update Driver Software.
- Now click on Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Then click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- You’ll see a list, choose MTP USB Device and click on Next.
- After that it will start updating your drivers and after installation, your device should be recognized by your PC and it should show your files.
This is the 100% working method. It should work for everyone. Do let me know if it is working for you or not in the comments section. If you have any question, then do leave it in comment.